Saturday, August 11, 2007

Interim post

Of course I realize that I haven't been posting much lately, and I don't have time to do it properly here either. Rest assured that a full, good post is coming. However, I would like to update all on my current situation.

Though the full story has yet to be written, suffice it to say that I missed my 7:11 am flight on United through Chicago to San Jose and am flying through JFK to San Jose via Jet Blue. I'm in NY right now, so some quick math would tell you that if I'm going be departing at 6 and arriving in San Jose just before 10 pm Pacific time, this flight is going to be approximately 8 hours long. I'm not terribly looking forward to this, though I think I will do alright, and I have a window seat. Jet Blue has "the most leg room in coach," which I believe to be true. They also have DirecTV and XM Radio on board, so I can watch the Food Network for 8 hours. It's too bad there isn't any internet yet available for coach passengers to purchase, 'cause you better believe I would buy it for this flight. I can also read the book I brought, probably getting through most of it in one shot (maybe I'll practice using Long Smooth Underline!). Speaking of wireless, it's free here at JFK, which is awesome. I didn't venture any farther than the JetBlue "hub," which I can only imagine sprawls even farther than I believe. There's a mall-like middle section with restaurants, fast food, shops, and seating areas. Some parts are quite posh, some are urban-airport. Let's just say I wouldn't mind being lain over here.

The view coming into JFK was beautiful too, right over the water as the sun started to descend in the sky. I wish my first time coming into NYC wasn't under such wrong circumstances. Then, maybe this experience is kind of telling of what type of city this is. It's weird, being here, it makes me proud to be a New Yorker in a much different way then Buffalo or Rochester do. I'm proud to be a native resident of a state with such natural landscape, progress, and with such interesting (and often wonderful) people. So many people come through this city, and especially this airport, yet I can claim a part of it as my own, and they can't touch that.

Don't let my poetic waxings fool you about my mood. I don't feel good. My stomach has those nervous travelers' jitters, I feel poorly nourished, I'm exhausted but I don't want to sleep, and the thought of teaching classes tomorrow is daunting, if not laughable. My right eye is twitching as a reminder that it wants to shut, yet I have to deny it such comforts until well past its bedtime tonight. Probably the only thing keeping me from feeling like a total waste of Earth-space is the fact that I showered this morning, which I don't usually do on flying Saturdays. I guess this will teach me to underestimate the volume of people trying to leave Buffalo in the mornings on the weekends during the month of August. Speaking of, my birthday is in two days. Is turning 23 tainted by my circumstances? Or is this paramount to achieving an age I never before conceived myself of reaching?

My flight will board soon, I'm told from Gate 2. I hope to be able to watch the new episode of Feasting on Asphalt at some point, depending on what time zone this plane's satellite service is set to. If not, I'll find ways to keep busy. And if I run out of battery on my laptop, out of juice on my iPod, if I finish my book early, and nothing's on TV, well...at least I have a window seat.

Gotta' fly.

Love,
Alex

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feasting On Asphalt is an ingenious bled of the Food Networks ability to take food preparation and tasting onto the roads of America in search of the best dishes nationwide. Behind the heroic footsteps of Host Alton Brown is an array of team members dedicated to discovering the best outback steck houses, diners, and (heck) hot dog stands in Middle earth. It is a show not to be missed, and be prepared for a day when you might even find your own home town diner featured on the show.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.microgiving.com/profile/ibuprofen]ibuprofen nsaids
[/url]coupon motrin
ibuprofen strength
overdose of motrin
aspirin and ibuprofen
advil mg

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.microgiving.com/profile/ribavirin]ribavirin 200 mg online
[/url] rebetol 200 mg
order copegus online
virazole buy online